The objective of the “Muntanya del Voltor” project is to find the balance between the restoration and management of the cultural and natural heritage, with the huikking and educational activities. With this aim, there have been established several work lines:
- Biodiversity restoration. Based on a sustainable forestry to revert the ecological degradation. Tasks within the oak tree forest have the goal of rejuvenate the forest and restore the undergrowth. In parallel, some other tasks are being done in order to, for instance, restore the soil cover or fight against forest plagues.
- Restoration of the cultural heritage. We can found several infrastructures result of the traditional activities that were done along the mountain. Basically dry-stone buildings, such as ovens, huts, wells or charcoal kilns. Some of these elements have already been restored.
- Refurbishment of the trail network. Essential to standardise the hikking through safe paths, preventing the use of shortcuts and the creation of new courses.
- Encourage the participation of the local population. For example, with the creation of an educational programme addressed to schoolchildren and the organization of periodical one-day conservation activities.
- Public use planning, with the aim of giving a guarantee that the amount of visitors is in accordance to the fragility of the environment. Thus, the quality of the experience will be ideal and the traditional uses and local ramblers will benefit.
- Endorsement of the collaboration between landowners, hikers, government, companies, etc.; trying to join forces to build a management programme environmental, economical and social viable.